Thursday, February 21, 2008

Aap Jaisa Koi



I've been feeling kind of tired this week, and the only cure is lots and lots of star filters. Good thing I've got this disco delight from the 1980 film Qurbani to cheer me up. This song feels like it was just on the cusp of the disco trend that would soon take over Bollywood—it's kind of a softer, gentler disco sound.

Zeenat Aman fronts the band, wearing a dress that's one of those odd combinations of revealing and concealing that you see so often in Bollywood. My God, you can see her SIDES!!! She's supported by a highly enthusiastic Mandingo drummer and a gang of girls in glittery workout leotards. Of course, what really makes this clip is the lighting. Bright, colored, flashing, reflected off disco balls and hanging mesh, but most of all, shot through gorgeous, crazy, rotating star filters.

Intercut a standard portion of male lead reaction shots, one quirky scene with some supporting characters, and a fuzzy heart-shaped matte shot, and you've got yourself a nice feel-good dance number.

Those male leads must have a bit of a hard time doing all these reaction shots. I would assume they're mostly shot separately from the actual dance part, probably with the rest of the crew all staring at them. Here's what I think Feroz Khan is thinking to get himself into the right mood for each shot:
  1. Go, shorty, it's your birthday, we gon' party like it's your birthday!

  2. Man, check out Zeenat's sides! Daaaamn!

  3. I'd tap that.

  4. Time to break out my sexy half-raised eyebrow look.

  5. It's really hard to keep looking sexy with this damn wind machine blowing on my hair.

  6. Oh yeah, the look of slight disbelief. Slays 'em every time.

  7. Hmmmm...

  8. Wait, shit, did I leave the oven on?

  9. Okay man, calm down, you got the scarf of nonchalance, remember? Keep it cool.

  10. Damn I'm slick.


Here are the translated lyrics, culled from a forum site:
If someone like you were to come into my life
Then things would be set, yes things would be set

The springtime for the flower, the garden for the springtime
The heart for the heart, the body for the body
Everyone wants a meeting of body and soul
I wish that your heart would have a desire for mine
Then things would be set

I'm a human, not an angel
I'm afraid that I might wander
This lonely heart cannot pull itself together, without love it will pine
Where is there one like you, this heart would like to have just you..

Then things would be set...

No comments: